Whether you are thinking about, just began or have been homeschooling for some time now. We hope you find these homeschooling resources helpful for you and your family.

Charter Schools

Receive Funding

EverWild accepts charter school funds for payment of our Nature Immersion Program. We accept partial and full payment using funds. EverWild is a vendor for various charter schools. You must be enrolled in one of our partnered charters to receive charter funds. Please review the list below. If you do not see the charter school that your child is enrolled with, let us know! We would love to apply to become a vendor for them.

How To Homeschool in CA

There are 3 ways to homeschool

1. Enroll your child in an online charter school.
2. Register your home as a private school.
3. Hire a multi-subject credentialed tutor or multiple single-subject credentialed tutors.

Here are some general notes

– You will not need to notify your school district of your intentions to homeschool unless your child is currently enrolled in a public or private school (classroom-based or online).
o If your child is currently enrolled in a public school, notify your school’s office staff that you intend to un-enroll your child from the school and inform them of your educational intentions for your child.
– You should always keep records of your child’s attendance and academic progress regardless of the method you choose for homeschooling.
o Private schools must keep immunization records regardless of whether or not they are exempt from SB 277.
– There is always a chance that your child will not earn academic credit for homeschooling if they choose to later enroll in a public school. At EverWild, we will do everything possible to make sure that you have the appropriate resources and that your child is able to demonstrate academic proficiency so that this is not an issue.
– See the California Homeschool Network or the Homeschool Association of California for more information. Note: CHN has not updated some of their information (for example, the cut-off birthday for mandatory enrollment is actually September 1st, not December 3rd).

(Add Links)

Option 1: Enroll your child in an online charter school

There are some great advantages to choosing to enroll in an online program:

– Your child will be eligible for special education support if needed.
– You may get an allowance for extra-curricular activities (like EverWild).
– As long as the program is accredited, you will not have to worry about your child losing academic credit (unless he/she does not satisfactorily complete the course of study).
– After finding the right program, your involvement could be minimal (depending on the specific program you choose).

Here are some disadvantages to enrolling in both EverWild and an online program:

– The time commitment for an online program could interfere with our full-time schedule or overwhelm your child.
– Your child’s learning style* may not be compatible with the traditional education of an online program even if it is more flexible than classroom-based curriculum.
– If the online program includes occasional in-person sessions with other students, your child is subject to SB 277 regulations (see more about immunization exemptions here and here).

*For a more in-depth discussion on learning styles and personality types, contact one of our partnered charters above by clicking on their image.

If you choose to enroll your child in both an online program and EverWild, we personally recommend contacting one of the charter schools listed in the "Charter Schools" portion of this page.

For more information on this option:

Independent Study Program Information – these can be traditional public schools or public charter schools

Private School Satellite Program Information – almost all of these will charge a fee (unlike the public school options)

Comparing ISPs to PSPs


Option 2: Register your home as a private school

We recommend this option for our EverWild families.

Since the term “homeschool” does not have a legal definition in California, the primary work-around is to become a private school yourself. You will need to fill out a Private School Affidavit (PSA) between October 1st and 15th of the year of enrollment. We will be hosting a couple of PSA parties within this timeframe if you would like to go through this process with other parents.

Here are a few notes:

– Each household must register as a private school.
o You do not need to file a PSA if your child is 5 or younger on September 1st of the year of enrollment.
– Your children do not have to have to be fully vaccinated as a home-based private school. (Check out the exemptions here and here).

Here is where you fill out your PSA online (do not fill out until October 1st). Note: this link is for homes with 5 or fewer school-aged children.

These are instructions on how to fill out your PSA.

Here is more information directly from California’s Department of Education (including an FAQ page).


Option 3: Hire a credentialed tutor

The tutor must have a multiple subject teaching credential (or multiple tutors must add up to have all of the required courses) appropriate for the age of your child(ren) and provide instruction for at least 3 hours a day, 175 days a school year. The instruction must be in English and take place between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. The tutor may be the child’s parent or hired by the parent.

At this time, the mentors are not fully credentialed for this option. However, Amanda plans to have their multiple subject credential by the 2017-2018 school year. Remember: if your child will not by 6 by September 1st, you do not have to worry about legal options yet. Currently, Rebecca can tutor the children in math and science. Amanda will be able to tutor in Physical Education by the fall. If you are also fully credentialed, please let us know so that we can add your mentoring hours to the students’ total hours. We would love to have parent mentors who have credentials in English/Language Arts, Social Sciences, Visual and Performing Arts, and Health.

Here are a few notes:

– Your children do not have to have to be fully vaccinated if you hire a private tutor. (Check out the exemptions here and here).
– If you choose this option, we charge an annual administrative fee of $500 to cover the costs associated with certifications.
– According to one resource: Many credentialed teachers who homeschool their children establish private schools instead of tutoring their children because of the restrictive requirements and because certain benefits may be available to private school students, but not to tutored students (for example, concurrent enrollment in community colleges).
– No records are required to be kept for this option, but we HIGHLY RECOMMEND you keep attendance records, proof of academic progress, and a copy of all mentors’ credentials in case you need to prove your child’s academic enrollment.